Monday, September 22, 2008

I Heart NKOTB


Question: What is the quickest way to turn 20,000 female 30-somethings into 20,000 screaming tweens?
Answer: No, not a time machine - take them to a New Kids on the Block concert. Seriously.


It all started way back in early February, long before they announced their reunion. I have long been a member of the online NKOTB community and I got an email from them that simply said "Are you ready?" Nothing else, just those three words - and those three words sent out to every member of the NKOTB fanclub started the wheels in motion...there was an undeniable excitement in the air. Well, for the fans anyway - and there are a surprising number that have survived.

In late February, I received another that was a montage all of their old and most popular videos - "Please Don't Go Girl", "Hangin' Tough", "Step By Step" and so on, and at the end of it all, those three words appeared again - "Are you Ready?" At this point, I was - we all were...we were so ready. But it was still only speculation - were they or weren't they?
And then there was nothing - for over a month, there was nothing. In late March, a third email went out telling us to tune in to the Today show on April 4, 2008 for a surprising announcement. When the curtains lifted at 7:00am that morning to reveal all five original members of NKOTB, it was suddenly my second chance at living my childhood. We had to wait for another month to see their first performance together in 15 years - those that saw it live at the Today show were waiting for over 48 hours in the pouring rain...just like old times - except now, they are adults, many with families of their own. Oh, the anticipation! I know I was up with the sun on those mornings! Absolutely brilliant!

Fast forward to September 21, 2008. This was sold-out concert number three at the Air Canada Centre (although it was the first concert to go on sale - and to sell out in a matter of minutes) and the energy was indiscribable. Seven months building up to this final two hours...whoever thought this strategy up was a genius! When I was on the GO Train heading back from the concert, I started thinking about all of the people that had to come together to make this a success. A reunion tour (especially the reunion of a boy band made up of 40-year-olds) is always a risky venture, but the New Kids (and their team) have done a great job of coming together, creating (or re-creating, depending on which generation you come from) a brand - finding out exactly what their audience wants and delivering exactly that.


To be honest, I had no doubt that this would be a success - but there was still this little voice that was whispering, "Don't set your expectations too high..." Not only was I amazed at what they still have in them, but I was astounded by how quickly I became a screaming tween with all the rest - and how awesome it felt. I still (obviously) love New Kids on the Block - and I'm not ashamed to admit it (even at 31). *sigh*

No comments: